What’s in a name?
Well, for a whole lot of history.
Just about anywhere you look, Bolingbrook history is screaming out—whether in the form of the names of streets and schools or buildings and parks.
And in case you aren’t one of the handful of folks that are in the know, here’s a quick primer:
One of the most historic places in all of is on the north end of town. The is the resting place of many of the early pioneers in the area. The cemetery is named after Captain Harry Boardman, who set aside a couple of acres of his land for a community burial ground in 1832. He also served as "Overseer of the Poor."
Bordering the north side of the village, Royce Road extends and links Weber Road with Route 53. The road is named for the Royce family, one of the early pioneer families to live in the Bolingbrook-area.
Annerino Community Center
Bolingbrook Park District’s is home to all sorts of activities. But who was Annerino?
John Annerino was a 17-year member of the park district’s board—14 of those years served as board president.
Some things take a while to gain a permanent name. Take Boughton Road for instance.
The major throughway that spans Bolingbrook from east to west has been called 87th Street and Oldfield Road in the past before the name Boughton Road became its moniker. The name is derived from DuPage Township Collector and Constable Mathew C. Boughton.
Clow International Airport
Oliver Boyd Clow owned the farm land that now houses Bolingbrook’s .
Launched in 1950, Clow, a flight enthusiast and aviation advocate, successfully fought against the urban sprawl that threatened to close the airport and worked tirelessly to ensure its survival.
B.J. Ward Elementary School
It's easy to figure out who some schools in Bolingbrook are named after.
is named after former senator and vice president Hubert Humphrey. is named after the Chicago social reformer.
But who is B.J. Ward? And why did they name a after him?
Bernard J. Ward was a former school board member who was on the board when a number of schools were built. In fact, there is a painting of him located in the front hall of the school.