All children and families should plan to trick-or-treat in Bolingbrook between 4 and 7 p.m. on Halloween.
Those are the designated trick-or-treating hours on Oct. 31.
The village also has these safety tips:
- Make sure children are accompanied by an adult or responsible teenager when they go door-to-door. Go with them yourself if you can.
- Instruct children never to eat anything until they are home and the treats have been examined. Cut and wash fruit before eating. Throw away anything unwrapped.
- Check the wrappers for signs of tampering.
- Bring suspicious items to the Police Station.
- Make sure children’s costumes fit and that they can see well.
- Tell children to trick-or-treat in their own neighborhoods.
- If children are going to be out after dark, make sure they carry a flashflight.
- Teach children to use the sidewalks. If there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the street facing the cars.
- Know which friends your children will be with and which route they are taking.
- Leave a porch light on so children will know it’s okay to visit your home.