Do you like to get out and explore a little on the weekend?
Well, here are some options within easy driving distance:
1. High School Football Friday: Joliet Central plays at Bolingbrook (7:30 p.m.); Plainfield Central is at Romeoville (7 p.m.)
2. Our Lady of the Woods Jewelry & Purse Sale: The event runs from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday (Sept. 13) and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday (Sept. 14) at Our Lady of the Woods, 10731 W. 131st Street, Orland Park.
3. Wallace Family Benefit: The event runs from 2-7 p.m. Saturday at Knights of Columbus, 100 S. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Tickets are $30 in advance and $35 at the door. Proceeds will go to benefit the family of Jim Wallace, a husband, father and Plainfield High School alum who is fighting to recover from a series of heart attacks and strokes.
4. NASCAR Chase’s Weekend: There are three races on NASCAR’s Chase Weekend at Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet. I: EnjoyIllinois.com225 (trucks) (7:30 p.m. Firday, Sept. 13); II: Dollar General 300 (Nationwide) (2:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14); III: Geico 400 (Sprint Cup) (1 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 15). For tickets and information, visit chicagolandspeedway.com.
5. National Day of Remembrance Observation: The invisible grief of abortion will be brought into the open at solemn events across the nation, including one that begins at 1 p.m. Saturday (Sept. 14) at Resurrection Cemetery, 200 W. Romeo Road, Romeoville. Guest speakers: Bishop Joseph Siegel, Jill Stanek.